ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Whole Lot of Dyeing Going On!

On Friday I taught Session I of my "Dye Happy" class here in Ottawa at Wabi Sabi. It was such a busy day and there were so many things I wanted to cover that I forgot to take pictures! Fortunately a few students sent photos of their fabrics after they washed them out at home.

This is Ruth's two colour run. She combined varying amounts of golden yellow and sky blue.

The results of her multi-colour parfait.

Neera has a collection of white and off-white silk that she was hoping to dye. So that is what she did.  You can see some of the silks have a pattern in them. They turned out lovely.

Judy sent photos of this collection, also a two-colour run,

as well as a value gradation using navy blue.

I too have been dyeing up a storm! In the last week I've dyed, washed, ironed, cut and bundled 102 meters of fabric!

Much of this fabric is heading with me to Winnipeg, Manitoba on Thursday to teach and lecture at the annual show and conference of the Manitoba Prairie Quilters. I will be speaking at their banquet on Saturday night, as well as teaching workshops on Friday and Saturday. 

I've dyed a variety of values of fabric suitable for florals since I will be teaching In Full Bloom on the first day. 

Yum, these fabrics would be great in a lily!

Here are a few of my favorites. I might just have to keep some of each.




Hope you enjoyed the colour!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours! I wish I lived closer to take advantage of the Dye class. Are you doing any this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Have fun in Winnipeg, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious, Elaine- as ever! Soon as I finish what I am working on now, I will be back to the dye pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun! Love all the colors, enjoy reading about your travels, too!

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine