ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Haliburton School of the Arts, Week 2

Last night I returned after two weeks of teaching in the Summer Arts program at the Haliburton School of the Arts. During my second week I taught The Art Quilt. This class is about creativity and design, with a day of dyeing fabric.

We were fortunate to be in the air conditioned college during our week.

It was one of the hottest periods I have ever experienced while teaching in Haliburton. I slept many nights with a fan and an ice pack tucked inside a sock, placed on the nape of my neck. We stay in instructor cabins in the woods.

Here is the class photo. Thanks to Bev, June, Anne, Shirley, Jean, Terry, Bridget, Katherine, Angela, Diana, Libby, Bill and Korleen for joining me for the week. You all worked hard and played hard!

The week was a busy one, packed with activity. So much so that I forgot to take a lot of photos. 
Students carried out two design exercises, one in which they used a seat of the pants construction method. I forgot to take the photo while all pieces were posted, but here are some of them.



Here are two additional ones that I took individual photos of. This one by Diana

and this one by Terry.

 Students also learned how to design a pattern to build a design. Here are the results.

Students had to choose an orientation for their composition, a compositional style, and I gave further additional parameters to work within based on the elements and principles of design. I hope they will move forward as quilt artists with a little more confidence in their design abilities.

During the week, I discovered hosta leaves and blossoms in full bloom, lit by the sun near the end of the day.



It is good to be back home!

2 comments:

  1. Every year I am amazed at all you get done in just one week. Looks like two really good groups, Elaine! They were some very lucky people to have that sort of opportunity. Great results too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because no one has to worry about jobs or household stuff. They come strictly to focus on creating for 5 days. It is my favorite way to teach (across several days).

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine