ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Friday, August 7, 2015

Student Work

First off, I had a great lunch celebration this week with a group of local friends and students, some of whom were on the nominating committee for my "Teacher of the Year" award from the Canadian Quilters Association. Thank you to all of you for your support!

This blog post is long overdue. I have been saving up images of student work for months now, and since a few came in this past week, I felt it was time to get this post published.

I am so pleased to share the following works, all begun in classes I have taught around the country.

Deanna began this piece in my 3-day "Inspired by Nature, Designed by You" class on Salt Spring Island. Her design was complex because she was working with white, and because she had created a very intricate pattern. She has worked very hard since our class to finish this, and it is a stunner. Deanna has her own style very different from mine, and that was likely forged during many years as an artist doing watercolours and encaustic. You can see her work on her website. I love the abstraction she has achieved.

Ruth began this flower in my "Flowers and Foliage class" in Haliburton just two weeks ago. She finished the quilt top at class, and the machine quilting was completed at home. It looks even better now that it has the quilted texture. Ruth has worked hard at her free motion quilting skills, and it shows!

Jennifer started this lily in my class on Salt Spring Island as well. Great range of values. She even treated herself to a new sewing machine to quilt it :-)

Sylvia began this piece in my class in Ottawa a couple of years ago, and completed it earlier this year. This beauty, "Kathy's Peony" is made in honour of her friend who passed away.

Neva made this Hosta Duo piece with my pattern in my "Hosta Leaves 101" class in Midland, Ontario.

Bev sent me two photos of completed works. The first made in my "Liberated Radial Piecing" class in Perth, Ontario. Very intergalactic, with a decidedly diagonal movement!

Bev started this poppy using my pattern in my "In Full Bloom" class, but she had to choose all her own colours and values. Great choices!

Kristi sent photos of these two design exercises she started in my Art Quilt Series two years ago here in Ottawa. There were parts of the composition that bothered her so she worked it a second time. The flow of the curved line in the first piece beautifully brings the eye into the composition.

This one was the first exercise. I think the more horizontal composition above works a bit better for rendering a pieceful landscape. The sky is moody and well done above as well. The design seems simplified and flows nicely.

Emily's Hosta Duo piece, made using my pattern, at a class at Cherry Tree Quilts in Summerland, BC last year.

Annick's piece from my Liberated Radial Piecing class at the Beaconsfield Quilt Guild this past February.

Christine attended the same class, but came up with her own original design. Now why didnt I think of that?

Dorothy began this piece in my Hosta Leaves 101 class in Saskatoon. The gridded background is a nice surprise.

Eileen created this piece in my half-day Free Form Curves piece, also in Saskatoon. Very reminiscent of autumn birches, which we will see all too soon now that it is already August.

I sincerely hope I have included all the photos that have been sent to me in the last few months. If I have not, it is due simply to deficiencies in my on-line filing system. I hope you enjoy this little virtual quilt show today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine