ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Exhale

Things are happening in my studio! This week I finished, mounted and framed a new piece called "Exhale". It needs to be shipped to Haliburton this week for the Haliburton School of the Arts Faculty Show at Rail's End Gallery. All instructors are invited to submit a work for a show called "Breathe", that will run during the Summer Arts Program. Since the piece is relatively small (20"x24" plus float frame) and since it is going to be hanging in a gallery beside work in other media, I decided to frame this piece. Below is a detail shot:
I've also put in a number of hours this week experimenting and preparing samples for my new Threads class at the Summer School. As a result of all the studio activity here is the current state of my studio!
It might just be time for a little straightening up. I remember the days when I only had one large table. Now that I have two, they are both always filled up, proving that no matter how much space you have it is never enough! In the end it is always the studio between the ears that matters most.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I could never use colours like that, no idea how to 'match them up'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wonderful, thanks for letting us see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Also think "the studio between the ears" should be coined :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece. I always have difficulty with framing fiber. Why not use stretcher bars to mount?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,
    It was Laura Cater Woods that I first heard use the term "studio between the ears", but I have heard it from a few other people since. The concept really resonates with me!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine