ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Views, Windows, Doors, Walls, and Arches

It is September 1 once again, and in my mind that signals the start of a new year. Must be a hold-over from all the years I worked in universities and colleges, where the new academic year begins in September. For me it is a signal to get moving, get back to work, get my nose to the grindstone. In the next two weeks I have to finish Red Stool, make a piece to replace Exhale (for the SAQA Synthesis show), prepare to hang our joint show at the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum, prep for and teach two classes here in Ottawa, and get ready for my teaching trip to Nova Scotia. My sister has been visiting this past week, and now that she has gone home it is time to post the rest of the photos from Tuscany and get to the "to do" list above. Don't worry, I won't post all 1500 photos, just a selection of my favorites.

The following photos were taken in or between trips to San Gimignano, Castaglioni D'Orcia, San Quirico D'Orcia, Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Volpaia, Vertine, San Gusme, Colle di Val d'Elsa, and Monteriggione. Most of these towns and villages are well off the beaten path.
Let me start with a typical Tuscan landscape, as we witnessed on many drives in the countryside:
In Castaglioni d'Orcio we captured this view of the Val d'Orcia (Orcia Valley). Many towns in Tuscany are named for the valleys they overlook.

Check out this gorgeous restaurant perched on the cliffs of Volpaia. Yes, we had dinner there, although all the tables upstairs were reserved so we had to eat on the terrace below.

Here are my collection of windows, walls, arches, and doors. Generally if you click on the image you will open a larger version and it will contain the title of the image, which will give you a hint of where it was taken, if you are interested.






















No collection of Tuscan photos would be complete without the sunflowers. They shall come in the next post, along with one of my favorite memories of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine