ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Back in the Classroom

After returning from Toronto, I had a few days to get my life back in order and prep for the two classes I taught in Ottawa Friday and Saturday. I am now doing several weeks of laundry, and nursing a cold I picked up in my travels. I am happy to be staying home for Easter, and look forward to my trip to Nova Scotia to teach for two groups on April 4. I will share more details when I return. Lobster sandwiches here I come!

Friday I taught Part 3 of my Uncommon and Unforgettable Threads class. Students brought in their hand-dyed threads from the previous class. I believe these are Judith's.

These are Ruth's luscious threads, on top of some stunning fabric that Lois dyed with some of the left over dye solution.

Friday's class focused on stand-alone thread paintings, these on water soluble stabilizer for those times when you want some sheer aspects to the design. This method works well for wings, as in bug wings, dragonfly wings, angel wings, etc. Mary's piece is looking pretty gorgeous.

Ruth nearly finished her piece in class.

Lois finished her dragonfly in turquoise and chartreuse (my favorite colour).

Saturday I taught my advanced machine quilting class, Beyond Stippling, Part 2. This class focuses on more complex motifs, combining motifs and free-motion feathers. I love contemporary feathers, although I am unable to use them in my own nature-themed work, that calls for more organic designs.


Machine quilting with threads that contrast in colour with your fabric become about the thread and stitching.

However, a thread colour that blends with the fabric, becomes more about the texture.  As I always say, using a thread colour that blends will always make you happier with your machine quilting at the end of the day, and if you are happy with it, you'll feel encouraged and want to continue working at it.

Barb brought some samples of free-motion quilting she had practiced on in order to quilt the poppy she made in my class.  I love her organic lines.

In my next blog post I'll be sharing what I did in my class, Drawing Fundamentals, Part 2, this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine