ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Visit to Montreal


Yesterday I noticed the crocuses finally blooming in my garden. What a thrill to know that spring is finally here.
Alas, today it is snowing :-((

On Sunday I had the pleasure of teaching for the West End Quilters of Montreal. It was great to be back in Quebec to teach again.

We had a wonderfully bright and spacious classroom above the Loblaws grocery store.

The morning class was Free Form Curves, and the afternoon Liberated Applique. Below is a photo of the quick sample I demonstrated for Liberated Applique. This flower was made with one single piece of fabric and cut free-hand.

I took most of these photos in the afternoon when everyone was working on their liberated applique project. Some chose to attach it to the curved (and free-hand cut and pieced) background they produced in the morning. Others chose to save that background and add some liberated applique to a plain background.

Wow, Audrey quickly produced some wonderful waterlilies.

Barbara worked on hydrangea.

Sandra's flowers were very dramatic.Lots of value contrast in the piece of fabric she started with.
'

Linda at work.
Marijke:
France:

Anna worked with prints, and put her own style into her work.

Allison preferred to create a koi fish, and this was the result. Not everyone gravitates to botanicals, and it makes life more interesting that way.
Mary. Finding a fabric with lots of mottling and value variations in it can help produce a much more complex flower than using solids and prints.

I hope I will get to teach in Quebec again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine