ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ragged Ass Road

This blog post takes you to Ragged Ass Road, Yellowknife.  It got its name because of the dirt poor folks that lived there during gold mining days.  The street sign is so popular that they've had to bolt it to a rock to keep it from getting stolen.  That's me posing.
 
What a strange mix of sights on this street!  You just never know what is waiting around the corner that might make a stunning photo.  Today $800,000 homes (real estate in Yellowknife is as pricy as Toronto and Vancouver) sit next to historic shacks and eclectic collections of memorabilia.  Someone is keeping the history of Ragged Ass Road alive. 
 
An abandoned Ford truck, rusting beneath the autumn trees.
 
A collection of snowshoes displayed along the wall of one of the wealthier homes.
 
An old wooden chair abandoned in the brush.
 
Some of the older shacks seem to have interesting decor added, like the red door on this one, and often there is a dog house outside.
 
Not too far away, in Old Town, my husband shot this colourful picture of float planes.  We watched them take off and land from our balcony.  Float planes are a very important part of life in the North. 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Ragged Ass Rd LOL ! love the photos - they remind me of where I grew up - my dad has at least that many snowshoes in his collection since we lived on the tip of the Adirondacks in NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina Marie. It is surprising how an electic collection of old stuff (probably junk in some people's eyes)can make for great photography. Elaine

      Delete
  2. What a hoot! When I saw the title of your post I was thinking perhaps you and hubby were back on the road and that RA was a reflection of how tired you felt! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you would think that Margaret! I'm glad I took the time to visit Ragged Ass Road on this trip because it was a visual feast.

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine