ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Last Gigs of the Year

I've been dyeing fabric for the past couple of days, getting ready to construct the Sunflower commission. I will start building it this week, so my next blog post will report on progress. Tomorrow night (Monday, December 3) I am Shop of the Month at the Ottawa Valley Quilters' Guild's last meeting of 2018. Information about the meeting and a map to the location is available here.

Two weeks ago I delivered my last lectures and workshop of the year. First was a lecture for the Out of the Box Fibre Artists group here in Ottawa. It was lovely to attend one of their meetings and see a lot of people I haven't seen in a while, but to also meet a lot of new members. The next day I drove the two hours to Pembroke, Ontario, to give a lecture to the Pembroke Log Cabin Quilters, with a workshop following on Wednesday. 

Our lecture and workshop took place in the chapel of a former Convent, now known as the Carefor Centre. I really enjoyed the colour and light therapy from the stained glass windows. I don't think I've seen marble floors like this since I've been to the Vatican several years ago!



Outside our windows winter was brewing, the temperatures were dropping, and it was excruciatingly cold for November by the time I left at the end of the day.

My impression is that the class had a lot of fun working on Flip & Sew Curves. I've got two class photos. The second one includes me.


I really love Suzette's take on the technique. Can't wait to see it finished.

And, a photo of another finished work from the Northumberland Retreat in Nova Scotia at the end of October came in. This beauty is by Carolyn MacKay.

Stay tuned for updates on the commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine