ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Monday, June 25, 2012

Italy 2012: The Gardens of Ninfa, Most Beautiful Garden in the World??

It is quiet out there, but I have to tell you that my blog statistics reveal that the number of visitors to my blog hit an all-time high today of 169 at mid day.  So I'll keep going because those numbers sound like you are enjoying my posts.

Yesterday's blog post on the Fonti del Clitunno was a mere appetizer for today's post.  Today's post takes us to possibly the most beautiful garden in the world, and certainly my most favorite and memorable location of this recent trip to Italy.  Ninfa is located about 40 miles southwest of Rome, and about 2 hours southwest of where we stayed during our second week (in Viterbo, more on that later).  The garden is built upon the ruins of an ancient Etruscan city that was sacked and fell into decline in the 1300's. 

We first learned about Ninfa from the TVO series (also a BBC series) that featured Monty Don visiting Italian Gardens.   That particular episode is still available to be viewed on UTube, and is well worth it.  Here's the link.

After seeing the series, we purchased the book, and planned our garden visits in the Lazio region from the recommendations in this book.  More to follow in the upcoming days on the other gardens we visited.

There is no need for words here.  If you'd like to hear and learn more I recommend the above U-Tube.  Remember to click on the photo if you want to see a larger version.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine