ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Neutrals


I was just about to post about the neutral hand-dyes when this adorable (and neutral coloured) little monster appeared, walking across the keyboard, sitting on top of my mouse. Suddenly I no longer was able to type an "e"? Coincidence? Or did Kissabelle (so named for her adorable habit of licking your hands and face) smash my "e" key so I would give up and go to the kitchen and dispense tuna? A good thing that a reboot solved the problem because not being able to type an "e" when your name is Elaine could be a problem.

Some of the neutrals turned out a little pink. I used a colour of dye (Red Brown from G&S Dyes in Toronto) that I had never tried before. I do love the result, but they may be a bit pink for what I was aiming for. What I love about hand-dyes is that they are always a surprise. Something magical happens in the dyepot. You may not get what you were aiming for, but you usually love what you get. Here's the pic, taken in Italy that inspired this series. I can't stop thinking about this image.

3 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous! I love dyeing fabric too. What kind of fabric do you use to dye with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie,
    I love it too, especially when I get to do new and experimental stuff. I use Hoffman cotton lawn from TrendTex in Port Coquitlam, BC. Their fabric is gorgeous ... very high thread count and nice sheen that really soaks up the dye. Same fabric that Hoffman uses for their commercial batiks. BTW, I had a good chuckle at your article in Canadian Quilter ... haven't we all felt that way at some time or another?
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your colors, the neutrals look great. So does your beautiful kitty. I'm also intrigued by some earlier posts on arashi shibori, the piece you did in the pink/fuschia color is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine