ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, April 17, 2016

A Week of Workshops in Whitehorse

It is a beautiful weekend here in Ontario and yesterday I found our crocuses in full bloom in the garden! I returned from the Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, late Thursday night and am so happy I brought spring with me ;-))

While there was no snow left in Whitehorse, I took this photo somewhere near James Bay. Loved the way the river curved across the landscape. Air North is a fantastic airline! Spacious seats, ample and decent meals, and a very generous baggage policy. 

The day after my arrival, I gave a lecture for the Kluane Quilters' Guild at the Yukon Beringia Centre.

There was a good turnout for the lecture as it had been well publicized and all the guilds in the area were invited.


On the left is the guild's Treasurer, Darlene, and on the right is Dianne, my billet during my workshops.

On the first two days I taught Liberated Radial Piecing and Reflections (free-form curved blocks).

This is Dianne's gentle giant dog, Spud. As you will soon see, I really went to the dogs on this trip!

On days 4 and 5 I did a two-day In Full Bloom class. About half of the class decided to design their own floral quilt and about half decided to use my patterns.

Ruth worked diligently and had finished her flower by the end of the second day. By the way, Ruth is the owner of a lovely quilt shop in Whitehorse called Bear Paw Quilts.

Judith used my peony pattern and is thinking of turning it a different way than mine.

Louise is doing a fantastic job of my poppy pattern, and she pulled all the values together herself, proving that you don't need a kit to make this piece (OK, I threw that in there because I have too much dyeing of kits to do ;-))

Deane finished my wild rose pattern.

On the last day I taught my Surface Design 1 class where you learn how to use Prismacolor Artist Pencils and Caran D'Ache Neocolor 2 Water Soluble Wax Pastels. Wendy was in her element!!

These are just a few photos of what students worked on. I stayed a few extra days to do some sightseeing in the Yukon. That will be the subject of my next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine