ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Friday, May 18, 2018

That Old Oak Tree

Several years ago I made this collage tree, inspired by one of my favorite trees in the entire world, an ancient Bebb's Oak Tree in the Ottawa Arboretum. It depicted the tree in early spring before leaves appear on its branches.

I try to visit the tree every year. On a sunny day about a week ago, I was there around mid day, and found the shadows surrounding the tree at that time of day to be very interesting and almost a bit eerie.



Last summer the tree was struck by lightening during a storm and sustained substantial damage. You can see it on the right of the trunk in this photo.

Here's what the damage looks like face on.

Nevertheless, the tree looks in good shape and seems to be carrying on despite the damage.

This week I returned to find the apple blossoms on surrounding trees beginning to bloom, and adding a fringe of pink around my favorite tree. You can also see that in a week's time the buds have become leaves.


Will this tree inspire another quilt? Perhaps. Time will tell. I also hope the tree survives for a very long time!

1 comment:

  1. GORGEOUS photos, Eliane! What a wonderful tree! I hope it survives a long time too!! I think a companion piece to your original would be a grand idea. GO FOR IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine