ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Saturday, January 14, 2012

and the winner is ...

M-R Charbonneau is the winner of the custom-dyed meter of fabric. I had the pleasure of delivering the fabric in person to her at the Collage Tree class I taught for the Ottawa Valley Quilters' Guild today. We managed to get a picture of the two of us and the fabric! M-R had requested something in maroon, wine and purples. This is what I came up with.


Hop on over to M-R's blog Quilt Matters to see what she is up to. I would describe her as a young, avid, and modern quilter, with a huge blog following!

Sixteen members of the guild showed up today to learn how to collage a tree. Here is Irene, the guild's wonderful workshop coordinator, who I have had the pleasure of dealing with for the past two years. To her left is Betty.


In preparation for this tree class, and the one coming up in St. John's, Newfoundland in February, I dyed about 40 meters of earthy bark-like and sky fabrics this past week. The warm colours you see are my experiments for M-R's fabric and some reds and pinks to fill out that depleted range of colours in my store of hand-dyed fabrics. They are always popular for my In Full Bloom class, and I will be teaching one of those in Newfoundland too. Of course I can't take my full store when I fly but I do take a small selection.



Winter has definitely arrived in Ottawa, with a big dump of snow this past week. Then the temperatures started plummeting. This morning we were at -19 celsius (-2.2 fahrenheit). Tonight, as I write this blog post, we are at -26 celscius (-15 fahrenheit). I am actually glad of this because I am hoping to accustom myself to cold weather for my trip to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, in about a week. I see from weather reports that it is actually -42 celsius (-43.6 fahrenheit) there tonight. YIKES! Yellowknife is approximately 500 km (or 300 miles) south of the Arctic Circle, and is one of the best places in the world to see the aurora borealis (northern lights). I'll be there for a week, teaching and lecturing weekday evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday, so I will have some time to see the sights. It will mean braving the cold!

3 comments:

  1. Good snowy morning Elaine! It is snowy here in OH where we got marooned last PM? What a pile of gorgeous fabrics!! Well done you. Very productive few days, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a small world! I just "met" M-R online...I can't remember the exact connection...but we seem to follow many of the same blogs. :-) I'm sure she'll have fun with that beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the gorgeous fabric and the fabulous class, Elaine! I posted about our day too - http://quiltmatters.blogspot.com/2012/01/when-it-pays-to-be-blog.html. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine