ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Lively Group and a Great Reception

 
After my visit to Manitoulin Island, I headed back to the mainland, where I drove through the stunning and dramatic LaCloche Mountains.  I took these photos just outside the village of Willisville.  The canoe access for the famous Killarney Provincial Park lies along this route.  You are really into Group of Seven country here!  In fact the artists that formed the famed Group of Seven were instrumental in convincing the Canadian government to create a protected park here. 

I arrived in Lively, Ontario, which is part of the Greater Sudbury area, on Saturday, and was billetted at the home of Fran Holland (Fran is just to the left of me in the photo ... I'm the one in the centre wearing a black zip-up hoodie).  On Sunday I taught another Collage Tree class (hey this is tree country ... and gorgeous trees there are!) for the Lively Heritage Arts Guild.  About 20 enthusiastic quilt and textile artists showed up for the day, and what a great start they got on their trees.  I showed a few of my quilts since several were not able to make it to my full trunk show in Sudbury the following day.  Members are holding some of my quilts in the photo.
 
After class on Sunday night, Fran and I put our feet up, had a glass of wine and enjoyed watching the movie Stitched.  I had purchased a copy of the movie on DVD a few months back and had not found time to watch it.  Before my trip I tucked it into my travel bag thinking there might be a night where a movie would be a great form of relaxation.  The movie features three quilt artists (Caryl Bryer Fallert, Hollis Chatelain, and Randall Cook) as they prepare their entries for the International Quilt Festival in Houston.  All three artists have known controversy in the quilt world: Fallert, because she was the first to win a Best of Show with a machine quilted quilt; Chatelain because she was first to win a Best of Show with a dye-painted quilt; and Cook because his quilts featuring nude males were not well received in all circles.
 
On Monday morning I was picked up by Dorthy McPhail (below) who took me for lunch and then on a tour of Onaping Falls, north of Sudbury.  Several people had suggested it as a scenic site I would enjoy.

Sudbury is two hours northeast of Manitoulin Island, and the autumn leaves had pretty much fallen.  The Falls, which are sometimes referred to as "A.Y. Jackson Falls" (because the Group of Seven artist painted them) were still quite pretty.  I am unable to find an image of this painting on-line, but learned that it was stolen and never recovered.

 
That night I delivered a lecture/trunk show to the Sudbury Quilting and Stitchery Guild.  After my digital presentation, I showed about 25 quilts.  Several members walked them around the room so everyone could get close. 
 
From time to time I find myself delivering my lectures from a church pulpit.  Kind of appropriate for a "woman of the cloth", don't you think? 
 
I have to say that I don't think I've ever met a more enthusiastic crowd. There was a lot of interest in my quilts and at the end of the evening my store of hand-dyed fabric looked like a department store after a Boxing Day sale (very worked over) :-))
 
It was a pleasant six hour drive back to Ottawa on Tuesday, with many beautiful views along the Ottawa River.  A few hours south of Sudbury there was still a bit of colour on the trees.  

 



4 comments:

  1. It was great having you in the north. The weather was great, your company wonderful, but the time too short. Hopefully you can find time in your busy schedule to return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy, thank you for your hospitality. It was great spending time with you and your guild. I'll make time to return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to meet you, Elaine. I enjoyed both your class and the trunk show very much. I admire your teaching style - very relaxed but most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to meet you too Dot. Thank you so much for the positive comments on my teaching style ... I really appreciate it!

      Delete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine