ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Monday, October 29, 2012

Quilts=Art=Quilts Weekend

This past weekend was the opening of Quilts=Art=Quilts at the Schweinfurth Memorial Arts Center in Auburn, NY.  This is an annual show, and I have been attending for the last several years.  It is only a four hour drive from Ottawa.  This is the second time I've had work in the show.

I wasn't able to attend the opening on Saturday night as I was teaching Part 2 of my Uncommon & Unforgettable Threads class at Dragonfly Fabrics on Saturday. Here you can see students in my class having fun hand-dyeing their own multi-coloured threads.

 
 
Rosemary sent this photo this morning of her washed threads drying on a drying rack.  Lovely colours and they will look even more wonderful when wound on a spool.
 
After class I drove to Auburn for an overnighter, and the next morning attended brunch with all the other artists and guests of this year's Quilts=Art=Quilts show.  In photo below are Denise Giardullo on left, me in centre, and Deborah Bein on the right.
 
After lunch we headed to the Schweinfurth Arts Center to see the show.  Since this is an art exhibit, photographing in the gallery is not allowed.  However, I was able to take a couple of photographs with permission of the artists present.  It just so happens that some of these are actually my favorite pieces in the show.
 
This is Deborah Bein with her piece Almost an Echo.
 
The very clever piece below is called The Fence, and is made by Susan Walen.  Susan was not at the show but had written me ahead of time to ask me to take a photograph for her.
 
Of course I was able to get a shot of me with my Standing Ovation.
 
Another piece in the show that I really liked is Empyrean by Ann Harwell.  You can see a photograph of it on the Quilts=Art=Quilts website.  Just scroll down to the list of exhibiting artists, and there are a few photographs to the right of it.  You can also explore the websites of all the artists in the show as the gallery has provided links from their names.
 
I was also fortunate to see two works by Joan Sowada in the show, but I am going to deal with Joan in a separate blog post.
 
I'm heading to Houston on Wednesday, or at least I hope I am!  This morning I had notice my Wednesday morning flight is cancelled.  This is related to the hurricane on the eastern seaboard, but affects the plane that I would have been travelling on as it was either coming from or heading to La Guardia airport.  After much confusion and lots of waiting on the phone, I am now booked on a later flight.  The wind is beginning to pick up here in Ottawa!  Time to batten down the hatches.  I hope you are safe in your part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine