ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

SAQA Virtual Gallery & Benefit Auction

My piece "Vagabond Song" was selected for this month's Virtual Gallery on the SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) website. This month's curator is Kathy Lichtendahl, and she has named the show of about 20 pieces "A Walk at Dawn". Vagabond Song was inspired by the most amazing tree I encountered on an autumn photography trip in Vermont. The title is inspired by one of my favorite poems, of the same name, by Canadian poet, Bliss Carman: "There is something in the autumn that is native to my blood, touch of manner, hint of mood, and my heart is like a rhymn with the yellow and the purple and the crimson keeping time".
Click on the Virtual Gallery to see all the works in the show.

I am also delighted to be back in my studio for a few days this week. Yesterday I created my One Foot Square for the upcoming SAQA Benefit Auction. I donate a piece to this auction each year. There are already donations from other artists in the on-line gallery, where you will find more information and details about the auction. Proceeds go toward SAQA's exhibitions, education, outreach and show catalogues. I am really enjoying working with the new colours I've dyed to represent end-of-season hostas. Here is my piece, still unquilted. I am thinking about shading with some artist pencil in the lower right corner.
Hmmm ... it occurs to me that both of the above photos are a little out of place given the gorgeous spring weather. Not to worry, I will be back one of these days with some spring inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I will have to pick your brain about SAQA when we meet. I don't know much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I might have a slightly different case. I just received a gallery comment on a virtual gallery (fed from my other galleries via keyword). The comment is visible in the stats page, and I received the usual email.

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine