ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Surprise Career as a Quilt Artist

Back in February Kit Robinson of Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine wrote and asked me to be the “In the Art Studio” fabric artist for the July, 2011 issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited. This involved writing an article of 1500 words and submitting a number of images of my work. I was thinking about what angle I wanted to present in my article and decided to name it "A Surprise Career as a Quilt Artist" because I was remembering that a career counsellor had suggested I try to make a living as a quilt artist back in 2003. I did not take her seriously at all. The article traces my journey to where I am today (more on that in my next blog post). Machine Quilting Unlimited also featured my quilt "Opening Act" on their Jaw Dropper page back in their November 2009 issue.
I subscribe to this magazine because, as a machine quilting teacher, I need to keep up on trends related to machine quilting, but also because it features wonderful articles about some of my favorite artists like Jenny Bowker, Betty Busby, Nancy G. Cook, Deidre Adams, Carol Taylor, and many others. This magazine is subscription only, but you can also order back issues from their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine