ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Wineries and Orchards and Country Roads ...

These photos capture the essence of the countryside around Niagara-on-the-Lake. On my last day in the region I decided to photograph at wineries and orchards. At the tourist bureau I asked which the prettiest winery is. Colaneri Estate Winery was recommended to me. Gosh, I felt like I was in Italy that day. In fact the winery is owned by a family with Italian heritage, and they have built their vast estate to look like an aged Italian villa. Pretty indeed. 


There are acres and acres and acres of vineyards in the region.

On my drive along Nigara Parkway, I came across this lane with a canopy of trees. Outside was a sign that said "Gracewood". I took the risk and entered the lane. Only later did I do the research and found out that it is a 1819 Georgian home that has been converted into a Bed and Breakfast, with 26 acres of gardens and orchards. 

I'm told the cherries will be ripe in about two weeks.

I believe this is a rhododendron tree. It was tucked amid the trees, just kissed by a glow of sunlight.


An inspiring day for sure. One that was followed by good food and gelato.




1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous, Elaine. You deserved a change like this. I WISH I did!

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine