ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Salt Spring Island, Part 2

Yesterday I wrapped up my workshops on Salt Spring Island. What a great time I had at the 3-day retreat where I taught "Inspired by Nature, Designed by You". I am really enjoying teaching these multi-day classes where each student designs something different.
 
Here's a photo of class participants. Left to right: Margaret, Terry, Deanna, Jennifer, Glenda, Bobbi, Susan, Shannon, Wendy, Karen and Quita.

 
I ended up in this photo on the left.
 
I'm pleased to share student work. None of these are completely finished, but most are well underway.
 
Bobbi's blue flower just requires a few more blue shadows and green leaves in behind the upper left corner.  A stamen in the middle and stitching to pull the centre purple into the petals will complete it.

 
Terry's coleus just requires a background behind the leaves.
 
Wendys coleus requires work in purple and pink on the lower right green leaf. This and the piece above make me want to rush home and do a coleus myself! Love the colour combination.
 
Jennifer's lily has only the lower petals and background left to do. 

Karen's arbutus tree. Karen decided to work in a collage method after I showed how I create my collage trees. The combination of yellow-greens with deep earthy reds is striking..
 
 
Susan's abstracted and stylized ferns. Susan was able to complete all 3 pieces of this triptych in the 3 days.

 
 Shannon's rocks make a nice and effective diagonal composition with lots of value contrast.
 
 Margaret's blue rose. Once a few more pieces go down the rose will be more obvious.

Quita's hosta leaves. Still the upper leaf to finish. Quita's composition is somewhat abstract because she decided to focus on the shadow under the upper leaf.
 
Glenda's close cropping of a hosta leaf: Things are starting to fall into place as all the values are added.
 
Deanna's white flower is very intricate with a lot of small pieces. She has just added in the background greens and started on the flower.
 
Hopefully everyone will share photos of their works once finished. I am now on vacation on Vancouver Island until I fly home on Friday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine