ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Edmonton Festival of Quilts, Part 1

I've arrived on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia after spending four days with the Edmonton and District Quilters' Guild at their Festival of Quilts. On my way here I paid a visit to Daphne Greig on Vancouver Island. The photos I took at Butchart Gardens will have to wait for another day as I am just starting to process my photos from Edmonton.
 
When I arrived in Edmonton I had the honour judging this little show of challenge quilts. Called "The Prairie Rose Challenge", each participant had to use a piece of fabric from my first Northcott collection and make a 12" x 12" on the theme of "Home". I chose "Into the Sun" by Kathy Logan de Chavez for first prize because of the Van Gogh feeling it gave me.

"A Tight Knit Community" by Kim Caskey was another favorite,

 
as was Shirley Hamilton's "Earth: Home of my Homes".

 
 
 Here are the parameters of the challenge:
 
 
It was really difficult making my choices from so many fantastic and creative works. There was a total of four walls of challenge quilts.


 
 
Next post will be about my lecture and workshops in Edmonton. Tomorrow we start dyeing on Salt Spring Island.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your photos! These mini quilts are lovely - great variety.

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine