ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Nova Scotia: Mariners Quilt Guild, Dartmouth

After Mahone Bay, I travelled to the Mariners Quilt Guild to teach two half-day workshops (Free-Form Curves and Flip n' Sew Curves). While I have been to Nova Scotia many times, I had never visited Dartmouth, just north of Halifax. It is a lovely small city with lots of bays and bodies of water and beautiful vistas. Our classes took place in a large and well-lit classroom at St. Mary's University.

I spent two nights with Deanne Hemphill and her two beautiful cats, Purry Como and Purry Mason. While Purry Mason eluded me, except for this photo of Deanne holding him, 

Purry Como was everywhere, and what a charming cat he is!  Isn't he handsome?


He loves to ham it up for the camera.

Students learned to cut and piece curves free-hand without a ruler, measurements or pinning. For most it was the first time working this way. Some found it stressful, while others found it liberating. All turned out a great piece that will either serve as a landscape or as a background.

Tina and Christina completed their pieces from the afternoon "Flip and Sew Curves" class by the next night when I saw them at my lecture. More on that in my next posts.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures of Nova Scotia! It's on my list of places I want to see. It is so neat to see all the lovable cats you meet on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must go Martha ... take a few weeks and see all the provinces in Maritime Canada. Cats really do add to the experience, no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine